Choose Wisely

Soooo....my birthday is a little less than two months away, which also means that the birthdays of Renee Zellweger, Al Pacino, Hank Azaria, and Elvis' mom are also a little less than two months away.  (Repre-SENT!)

If that's not enough, it also means that Fiesta is rapidly approaching.  Relevant this may not be, since I haven't lived in San Antonio in ten years, but sometimes we didn't have school on my birthday out of respect for the Battle of the Flowers parade. 

Well, we never actually went to the parade, we just knew about it.  And maybe there was a pinata or two??  

Meanwhile, our public schools would try and hype up the celebratory aspect of it all to get us involved.  
Mostly, that entailed me sporting my Fiesta Clip (a tiny woven sombrero with some curly ribbons glued to a barrette) showcased ever so sophisticatedly on my signature one-half side pony.  

So there was that, yes, and of course, our very Caucasian mustachioed middle school principle outlawing "cascaronies"  on campus over the school-wide intercom.  

But the hallowed pinnacle of our Fiesta celebrations was: 

THE FIESTA DANCE. 

Each grade would learn a different little dance to some mariachi music, and then each class in that grade would do their dances for each other.  

And the best/worst part of it all: boys and girls had to dance together.  
That is exactly right.  We would have to hold. hands.  WITH BOYS.

In music class my fifth grade year, on the day we had to partner up, I was filled with butterflies in anticipation.  
Where to sit? What if all the cute boys were on the other side of the circle? Would you have to go up and ask them to be your partner? 

THE STRESS!
THE HUMILIATION! 

Instead, in a panic, as everyone else quickly paired off and I was horrified at the idea of having to be coupled with another girl, I simply turned to the guy next to me, Matthew Muller, out of the convenience of proximity, not because I like-liked him. 

Me (sheepishly, with my Fiesta clip in my half side pony): So...d'ya wanna be partners?
Matthew (shrugging his shoulders and looking a little bored): Yeah, I guess we're pretty good friends.  

And that's how I ended up holding Matthew Muller's hand.   Saucy! 
(Until, of course, our twenty seconds together were up and I rotated onto the next guy.) 

Aaaaaaaaand so, yes, that's essentially what dating right now feels like.  

Just with a lot less confetti. 

Comments

Popular Posts