Musical Snacks

The other day I came across this intriguing article that talked about how music physically and chemically affects us, explaining that although music is of no intrinsic value, we still appreciate it so deeply because it's an 
INTELLECTUAL REWARD

So, for your (possible) rewarding, here are some of my favorite little tastes, currently.  And by tastes, I mean that I've listened to them over and over again.  I know it's annoying when people tell you to get your headphones all out and listen to something, because, ugh, annoying, but maybe just listen to these in the background while you do something else, either in real life or on the computer.  I'm just curious about how any of these maybe make you feel?

1. JGro.  Voce Existe En Mim. 

NO NEED TO WATCH THE VIDEO, IT'S JUST WORDS.  Just listen, and turn it up.  No, turn it up even further, until it completely consumes you and then the chorus breaks and you're standing wind-whipped out on a precipice over a magnificent valley at sunset while a camera circles in a wide swath all around as you sing your heart out, oblivious.



2. Zach Sobiech.  Clouds.   

I've listened to this so so many times, and I just don't get tired of it.   Written by a 17-year old with osteosarcoma, this song makes me equally uplifted and sad, but without being a morose funeral dirge, so that I kind of want to cry but I'm also happy about it.  You can watch it, if you want.  
 


3. Vivaldi.  Concerto in G Minor.   

I like listening to classical music at work because it doesn't have words, so I don't get all distracted, singing along. But then I just end up frantically conducting at the wall and playing pretend piano on my computer keyboard and so I have to turn it off and just chill out.  I mean, is there ever such a thing as too much harpsichord? (Okay, there is, but this isn't it.)
 
 

4. Brandi Carlile.  The Story.   

This is one of those songs that I save for when I'm in the car alone, when I can belt it out until my jaw hurts. 
 
 

5. Renan Luce.  Repenti.  

And then this one.  I've been trying to dust off my French a little bit, and this guy's songs are my current obsession.  
 
 

And this isn't music, but: oh, look. 
It's me, in public. 
Around guys. 
 

That walk! (And they're married IRL, which makes it even better.)

Comments

  1. I enjoyed your musical appetizer. How can you not air conduct Vivaldi? Those recorders were totally jammin'. Brandi Carlile. Never heard of her. Awesome. We'll be downloading later. Renan, I liked him. He's like the French Jack Johnson. (I hope that's how Ann introduces herself to people). This is Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU FOR LISTENING, EMILY!! my music is so important to me, and i just want to share it with everyone.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts