Newlywed Roommates

No, we're not married (I promise), but sometimes the dynamic we've established reminds us of a couple. Or...how we imagine couples must be. 
  


We go together like Friday nights and Target runs, like avocados and toast, like Phil Collins and Tarzan.  She cooks me dinner, I bake dessert.  She washes the dishes, I dry.  She accepts me for my weird voices and all of the leaping, and I accept her for her unmatched love of Jimmy Fallon.  It just works, ya know? 

 

She encourages me to work out when I otherwise wouldn't, she spots opportunities for service that I would have overlooked, and she takes me out for Filipino foods, which include (but are not limited to) MILKSHAKES WITH RED BEANS AND CORNFLAKES IN THEM.  

And since living with Nicole de Lancret, I've unearthed in myself a new-found appreciation for all that is silly.  After passable but not ideal living situations for the last couple of years, living with a bestie is something I can't take for granted.  This year marks our 5-year friendiversary, of all things, and I guess this is how we're celebrating - swimming, pesto chicken sandwiches, chocolate zucchini bread, cheesecake, and fireworks.  




It's almost like when we lived together in college...but funner.  More closet space and fewer neighbors to bother with our shenannigans and dancing.  We have a litany of movies to see, restaurants to visit, and parties to host (shark week!  shark week! shark week!).  We love having people over for dinner, making them feel at home (with copies of their profile pictures surreptitiously hung up on our collage wall), and proudly showing off the 4-inch long cockroach that died on our patio.  No one can accuse us of not having a good time, see.  



Some Sundays we go a-temple scouting, taking a peek at the almost-finished Phoenix temple, stopping for pre-worship cream slushes, and then rounding out the night at the Gilbert behemoth.  And then we drive home through a haboob (hee hee), which symbolizes how we two can get through anything to-ge-ther.  

COME BE OUR FRIEND!


^^ And this is not Nicole-specific, but Rachel sent me this mug in my birthday package, which is basically the best present I never knew I needed.  When filled with hot water, all of the famous gay people come out of the closet.  Oscar Wilde!  Gertrude Stein! It's basically my all-time favorite vehicle for heated beverages, is all. 

Comments

  1. Can I just say it? You are great and you make me smile. Thank you for your stellar grammar and clever writing. It does me good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shaina!! And thank you for reading :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts