The One Where I Was A Salmon


Not in every sense of the word, obviously.  But for the first time since I was born there, I found myself back in the Washington DC area, this time as a seemingly full-fledged adult with a much greater appreciation for the foundations of our American history.  And the National Treasure movies. 



Okay so maybe I didn’t return to my birthplace to spawn anyone or anything the way salmon do, and heaven help us all if I really were a fish in charge of my own internal cross-country navigation, but for having not been in Maryland since the early early 90’s, this week was way better than any kind of caviar, EVER.  


Even if that caviar is a garnish



This little trip ended up being one of several delightful little firsts:



My first red eye flight which was not, thankfully, anything like the movie. 
(I didn’t even come close to stabbing anyone in the throat with a pen.) 



First time all the cousin babies met each other 



First time I took a taxi since that one time in Paris we went to see Iron Man 2 really late at night and then on the way home, the metro stopped running and I was stranded in the suburbs with no sense of internal direction



First time P-diddy went sledding



First time I made 4 pies in one night going on 2 hours of sleep 


First time Poundy Roundy went Black Friday shopping as an invalid



FIRST TIME I WENT ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE TEMPLE


 First time visiting E-Fo and B-Fo’s new 100-year old house




First time in Danville, PA – proud hometown of Joseph Priestly, the chemist who discovered oxygen in its gaseous state and subsequently invented soda water.  Look out!!




First time setting a world record for the quickest check-in time at an airport.  We arrived at 5:12 and I was sitting in my seat on that darn airplane by 5:23 in time to take off at 5:30.  Yes, I do live life on the edge, and yes, Guinness contacted me shortly after I landed. 



First time this big fan met his favorite historical icon.  HEY, ABE.  H'ABE. 


Aaaaaand the first time this Scandinavian trio had time to shoot their cover art.  (Album drops next month.)


Anyhow, I sorely miss these cheeky little nuggets already, and I’d be willing to give up any or ALL of my cute spatulas just to snuggle one of those tiny little grandbabies in their footie pajamas right about now. 



Can anyone tell me how much it costs to ship a nephew to Arizona??   


Comments

Popular Posts